The Structural Designer position is responsible for the engineering of temporary POP displays for the RMS Group at Meyers.
The Structural Designer positions ensures optimum materials are specified in order to maximize savings without losing function and quality. Maintain quality and accuracy of BOM process for temporary displays.
Major Areas of Accountability/Key Result Areas
- Contribute winning creative solutions by understanding the product, brand, vision of the client, and the environment which it will be displayed, within budget limitations.
- Develop Engineering & Prototypes based on creative concepts.
- Work closely with graphic designers to create the graphic treatment for displays.
- Present creative ideas to client and in house sales staff.
- Develop quote drawings and work with project management and outside vendors.
- Develop prototype drawings and work with vendors and internal staff to execute in specified timeline.
- Create BOM & assist project management to develop final quote to customer.
- Produce engineering drawings and parts lists
- Assist in development of instruction sheets
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Structural Design & Display Prototyping
- Develops all specifications to fabricate prototype(s).
- Works with internal and external resources for fabrication.
- Ensures that Design Intent of prototype matches as best possible the original Design Concept.
- Establishes and adheres to timelines required for such.
RMS Display Estimating
- Establishes written material specifications for display components.
- Generates sketches, line drawings, detailed CAD files as required.
- Qualifies outsource suppliers. Establishes and maintains relationships with such.
- Interprets supplier Quotes and recommends most viable source to purchasing based on quality, price, and delivery.
RMS Display Project Management
- Helps Meyers Project Manager meet delivery deadlines
- Assist Project Managers with outsource suppliers to ensure quality, price, and delivery are being maintained
- Helps Meyers Planner establish Packaging Design
- Capable of determining work-around plans when required
- Maintains electronic database of project files on Meyers server
RMS Client Relationship Management
- Provides technical expertise during internal and external sales calls and meetings
- Communicates directly with client when requested by sales
- Responsible for solving display performance issues in the field, may require on-site visits to perform hands-on repairs
- Manages repair parts or sources replacement parts as necessary
- Understanding the complete product development cycle
- Understanding of 3-dimensional sketching and engineering drawings
- Understanding of supply-chain management
- Understanding of customer service
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
JOB REQUIREMENTS continued:
- Possesses intermediate level of machine shop skills and mechanical aptitude
- Generates solutions quickly, incorporates ideas from a team environment
- Effective interpersonal communication
- Delegates tasks effectively
- Effectively shifts between tasks
- Work environment: Subject to noise, hazards such as moving mechanical parts, pinch points, electrical currents, exposure to chemicals and high heat, atmospheric conditions such as fumes, odors, dust, oils, cutting fluids and UV light.
- BS/BA Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 2-5 years in Product Design of consumer or commercial products. Preferably in POP Displays
- Minimum 2-5 years of Project Management overseeing the entire production cycle
- ZUND or Kongsberg CAD cutting table experience.
- 2+ years of Design software utilizing Artios CAD, Creative Suite package.
- Must pass pre-employment psychological profile, background check and pre-employment drug screen.
All of the above listed duties and responsibilities are considered to be the essential functions of the position.